Monday, March 29, 2010

DeClutter a Kitchen, Then a Career

It's the beginning of Holy Week, which started for me as a participant in a noisy parade around the block in a small Chicago neighborhood. The congregation from St. John's Episcopal church banged on drums, shook rattles and there was even one guy playing a conch shell as we waved palms and celebrated. I love that church not only because the rector made a point of introducing me around when I was brand new and she showed up at the hospital with communion right before the first cancer surgery after I'd only known her a week, but also because they don't just have coffee hour, they have lunch. There's been more than one parishoner who's suggested it's a deal maker for new members.

Easter approaches and for me it's a reminder that it's possible to start over in any given moment, no matter what. My belief is founded rock-solid in a loving God who believes in us. That translates for me into a belief that we can always get in our own way but we can also cut it out and change without a lot of fanfare.

That has been my ongoing theme for the past few years. I decluttered my kitchen cabinets and freezer at first from all the food that I didn't even like. Five overflowing grocery bags later I realized there was very little in my kitchen that I would even want to eat. It kind of spoke to how well I looked after my own life at the time.

Clothes were next and I got rid of all of the pastel, the grey and the baggie. It wasn't a good reflection of how I see myself. Now, I'm all about the color and regardless of whether or not it's the 'thin' wardrobe or the 'not-as-thin' wardrobe, it all fashionably fits my form. It's all about living in the present moment.

There are two big categories left to clean up: career and a relationship. Fortunately, I have a lot of great friends who are fun and inspirational and that's something to build on to become more willing for that one perfect relationship, just for me. The career side is also not stone cold. There are three books and a national column but there's also plenty of clutter. This week I'm closing down everything that's not working or not needed and letting all of the various bits and pieces know about this blog if they care to see how all of this turns out.

Spreading myself thin and constantly asking for new advice was a way to not trust in God that it was all going to work out okay. It was my way of hedging my bets and frankly, it didn't work but it did wear me out.

So, I'm keeping up with the gym and looking for a 5k to run in June, noodling with the beginning of a new novel and looking for full time work in public relations here in Chicago. A plan with less clutter, more humility and allowing God some breathing room. Seems appropriate during Holy Week.

2 comments:

  1. Martha, you are an inspiration to many. Keep up the good work and the good writing. Maybe at the end of that 5k, I'll be waiting for you with some of my famous chocolate zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about your blog from your nationally-syndicated column. And I "care to see how all of this turns out," as you put it. :)

    Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete